For about the past 7 years I’ve lived “going thru the
motions” when it came to church and God in general. I was coming to church
every week for a few Sundays then going back to not going at all. Just showing
up listening to a sermon, singing songs…but was I getting anything out of it?
If I had to be honest…I wasn’t! For years I was a good little church girl, the
door was open, there I was. Every trip, everything I was in attendance. I’d
come home with this spiritual high hoping for more but soon there I was back settling
for the same old routine. Sure I went every week but was I really learning anything
more?
I think all too often we get in a habit of showing up and
going thru the motions; Sunday school, worship, offering, sermon, prayer… all
of it becomes more of a show than what you are actually there for. Are we going
to church because we want to study the Word, or are we there because parents,
grandparents, friends want us to be there? Are we there because we want to KNOW
God or are we there because we were raised that all good little Christians must
go to church on Sundays? I know as a teenager it almost became more of a social
event than a learning experience. And for the past several though I trust God
& pray, I haven’t spent much time in the Word. And because of the ‘merry-go-round’
the whole concept of organized religion became this thing that was no good. And
because going thru the motions wasn’t working anymore my relationship with God
suffered because you need the fellowship with others because they are there to
build you up.
I wasn’t until about two weeks ago when the Lord intervened.
The message was LOUD & CLEAR! One of my best friends attended a new church
and then asked me to visit with her, I was open to the idea but I wasn’t ready
just yet. We were at lunch that afternoon when we were talking about going to
visit the next week. A couple came in and sat next to us, and soon the women interrupted
the conversation and told us a story. Then stated that she and her husband were
care pastors at a church, the same church we had been talking about. We hadn’t
mention that church at all the whole time that they were sitting by us and that
is when we knew that God was trying to talk to us. We knew that there was a
message and a reason for all of this. I was feeling the crazy spiritual high,
and not from a conference engineered to pump you up and Christ, no by Christ
himself! I had been spending more time just listening to worship music and on
The Good Woman Project. T started to see the helpful post on there and the other
sites they recommended about dealing with pornography and sexual sin. I knew I
needed help. I went to church that Sunday and they talked about addition it hit
me like a ton of bricks and the tears started to flow. It was then that church
became meaningful, I felt God. I knew he was using that day to speak to me. And
I know that if open my heart he will continue to speak to me. I know I have a
purpose in this world I just have to let God use me.
So I guess what my point is that If you are just going thru
the motions pray about it, maybe you are in the wrong place or maybe you just
need to listen to Him but until you try you will never know!
No comments:
Post a Comment